A beach just 5 minutes from the Cité
The lac de la Cavayère, is principally a magnificent natural setting, between hills, scrubland and pine forests.
Of course, you can swim there safely, but there's also a wide range of activities worthy of the best leisure parks.
With 40 hectares, the lac de la Cavayère is perfect for a spot of relaxation at the water's edge.
Those who enjoy walking and sports will find, on a 5 km circuit which surrounds the lake, a hilly landscape with splendid views.
The Cavayère can be even better for those who love an adrenaline rush. There's a sun-kissed atmosphere, music, board sports with the waterski ropeway, a beach bar and beach volleyball courts.
Adventure is never far away, with the magnificent walk through the treetops in the pine forest and the thrilling zip-wires over the lake.
Each year, the lake welcomes the Aquaviva park, with its numerous inflatables including the spectacular water-jump, two 21 metre slides for 8 metre high jumps.
What can you do at the lac de la Cavayère?
- Swim and sunbathe on one of the two fine sand beaches at the side of the lake, on the grassy area or on the pebble beach. There's something for everyone! The beaches are monitored between 1:00pm and 7:00pm, from mid-June to early September.
- Run or walk around the lake on a hilly 5 km path, open to all. It's an easy walk of between 1 hour and 1 hour and 25 minutes. Please note, there is a step at the dam.
- Wear yourself out on one of the two beach volleyball courts near the car park. A programme of events is offered throughout the summer.
- Eat and drink choose from the picnic area, restaurants, snack bars or food trucks
- Fish a category 2 lake, unique because of its setting
- Float around the lake on a pedalo. Tel: +33 (0)6 20 06 27 28 (open 7 days a week, from 10:00am to 8:00pm, June to September). Snacks available on site
- Discover the lake from a different perspective by renting a paddleboard from the Aquaviva base
- Have fun: treetop walking from 3 to 90 years old, waterski ropeway, inflatables and giant water slides...
The day when water rose from the flames
The history of how this 40 hectare leisure base, which covers the valleys of three streams, was created is a little unusual. In 1985, on these unoccupied hills, there was a terrible fire which destroyed dozens of hectares of coniferous forests near Carcassonne. The mayor at the time, Raymond Chesa decided to transform this devastated site into a beautiful lake surrounded by trees. A dam was built and the lac de la Cavayère was born.
How to get there
GPS co-ordinates: Lat. 43° 11' 6" - long. 2° 25' 2"
- By car: Take the RD 6113 towards Narbonne. As you leave Carcassonne, turn right towards Montlegun - 'le Lac de la Cavayère'.
- By bike: the cycle path from Carcassonne takes 1 hour 45 minutes
- By bus: take line 1 of the Régie des Transports de Carcassonne Agglo bus service
Lots of free parking available on site
- On foot: a 4 hour walk from the cité on the GR36 through the hills which overlook Carcassonne. Follow the red and white indicators.
- All non-motorised-water based activities can be enjoyed independently - free parking
- Toilet and showers near the leisure centre
- Animals allowed
In 2018, for the first time in Carcassonne, the world leader in obstacle races, 'Spartan Race' organised an event at the lac de la Cavayère. In spring, 3000 participants, from all four corners of France, pushed themselves to their limits. There were two races on the programme, the 6 km 'Sprint' and the 13 km 'Super', each made up of obstacles. Children could have a go at the 'Junior' event. Olivier Castelli, director of operations and development at Spartan Race stated, "The lac de la Cavayère was a great venue for the event. It's a big playground for the participants." The beauty of the countryside, the variety of terrain and Carcassonne's perfect location between Toulouse et Montpellier are behind this event's success.
SAVE THE DATE: 4th May 2019