CHAPELLE SAINT JEAN
Founded around 780, the monastery of Saint-Jean is the birthplace of the future Abbaye de Caunes. The church of Saint John, built two or three centuries later, reminds us of the site. The old part of the church includes the apse, the walls of the nave, the northern chapel and its cross vault. In the 19th century, the door was moved and the axial door of the nave was closed, False vault, a sacristy and raising of the ground. The frescoes of the heart (in poor condition) seem to date from the restoration of 1659, as are the altars in red marble. The altar on the right houses 5 crosses of St Andrew and a bathisphere also of black marble. A beautiful Romanesque frieze, although hammered, was hidden inside. A safeguarding association was created in 2015 and organizes concerts and animations for the benefit of its restoration.
Opening and visit on request