There's not just one good viewpoint!
Follow our advice on where to get the best views of this site, unique in the world.
From the Bastide (on foot)
- The bridges: for a panoramic view of the cité de Carcassonne, stand on the Pont-Vieux (footbridge) or the Pont-Neuf.
- The banks of the Aude, the quai Bellevue and the ile de la Cité below the bridges also have a good view, with the river Aude in the foreground. You could even enjoy a picnic in the calm surroundings (children's playgrounds) on the île or in the jardin Bellevue
- Approaching the monument, go into place Saint-Gimer, in the Barbacane district, for one of the best views of the Cité and the porte d'Aude or along rue Trivalle, with its village atmosphere.
From the surrounding area (by car)
- View of the Cité with vines in the foreground: head for chemin de FontGrande à near the porte Narbonnaise.
- View from the Aude and the Mayrevieille plain: from the ring road, follow signs for 'camping de la cité'.
- Along the north-east and south ring road (a few different places).
- A little bit of height from the Pech-Mary hill: from the Montlegun district, head for the lac de la Cavayère. Follow signs for the Arboretum.
- The Belvédère d’Auriac motorway services (A61), with, once again a magnificent view of the Cité.
But the best is to enter and discover the Medieval Cité from a different angle. Enjoy a walk from the ramparts of the Château Comtal or stroll along the streets in the Cité.